10th ICMM Workshop on Military Medical Ethics | Online Workshop 2021
Online Workshop 2021
The MME Workshop usually held a the Forum Lilienberg will be held as an online only workshop in 2021 as we expect that travel restrictions due to COVID-19 will not allow to gather a workshop group in Switzerland as usual. We plan to be back in Ermatingen for the 11th workshop in 2022.
The workshop will take place from 26-28 April 2021 as an online workshop, hosted via zoom from the University of Zurich. Please find more information in the program below.
Topic: Medical Rules of Eligibility and Medical Care under Resource Scarcity
The questions according to which rules patients are admitted for treatment and which (potential) patient gets what kind of treatment in situations when medical resources are insufficient is a major source of ethical challenges – both for military and humanitarian health care providers. First, because resource scarcity is a feature common to many environments they are working in and ethical challenges related to it therefore often occur. Second, not being able to treat everybody in need necessarily leads to selecting one patient in favor of another one who will not get (a potentially life-saving) treatment. Being forced to not accept patients or even to send them away obviously causes ethical worries.
Even though resource scarcity is frequently encountered practical issue (hardly avoidable in many contexts) and dealing with it leads to ethical problems, there is no universal or generally satisfactory solution to it. We therefore propose to analyze different aspects of the topic and to exchange on experiences and regulations of different organizations, cultures, and contexts with the aim of better understanding the reasons for ethical troubles and to avoid (some of) them in the future.
To shed light at the topic from a variety of perspectives we equally encourage field reports (e.g. case studies, experienc briefings, policy analyes) as well as philosophical papers and legal background analyses. In line with the tradition of the workshop series, we invite presentations that take the perspectives of both military and humanitarian health care providers.
The program has been be published on the website of the ICMM Center of Reference for Education on IHL and Ethics and can be downloaded at https://melac.ch/images/PDF/Lili2021/Lili2021-Program.pdf
Information about participation and registration can be found on the website of the ICMM Center of Reference for Education on IHL and Ethics:
- Workshop Program "Medical Neutrality"
- Registration for MME Course 2023 open
- CfP : Medical Neutrality in Theory and Practice
- Save the dates: ICMM Courses 2023
- 10th ICMM MME Course – Hybrid Course 2022
- 11th ICMM Workshop on Military Medical Ethics | Hybrid Workshop 2022
- Call for Papers: The Future of Military Health Care
- 9th ICMM MME Course – Online Course 2021
- 8th ICMM MME Course – Online Course 2020
- 1st Volume of the MHHE Book Series
- [CANCELLED] Program MME Workshop 2020
- 10th ICMM Workshop on Military Medical Ethics
- Program for MME Workshop 2019
- Article on Scenario Collection
- Contribution to Symposium in Munich on Moral Injury
- Program for MME Workshop 2018
- Publication on Ebola missions
- Report: 7th ICMM MME-Workshop "End-of-life care – ethical issues during missions"
- Workshop Program published
- Launch: MME Scenario Database
- Workshop Announcement
- Workshop grants
- Announcement: Joint workshop in Munich
- New Project: Scenario Database
- Workshop-Program "MME and Hybrid Warfare"
- Workshop grants
- Workshop: MME Case database
- New dedicated website for the CMME